Monday, August 26, 2013

Choice of Genre

I've had a few people ask me about my choice of genre, so I thought I would explain it. 

I knew from the beginning that I never wanted to write anything that wasn't appropriate for a young adult or religious audience. As a teenager, we were encouraged to read AR books from the high school library. Well, that was fine and good, but I'm a hopeless romantic. My mom had a huge collection of Historical Romance novels (Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, Johanna Lindsey...) and I wanted to read them terribly. They were beautiful and intriguing with elegant words from a time long ago when chivalry was alive. Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer and I started reading them. After reading a couple I realized why the local high school bookshelves weren't full of Historical Romance novels. Obviously, they aren't really suited for teenagers. It was a true bummer. So, I raced to get all of my AR points each semester so I could spend the rest of my time reading Historical Romance.

Like most people, when I started writing, I wanted to write the type of book that I would be drawn to read. "Easy," I thought, "I'll just write Historical Romance." However, I wasn't comfortable writing the love scenes. So, I thought, "Why can't I write exactly what I always wanted to read?" Besides, I try to be as Christianly as possible but I didn't want to write about Amish people. Well, that's why I write the way I do. So, you can consider them Young Adult with a Historical Romance feel. Or, Historical Romance made appropriate for a Young Adult Audience. Or, Christian Fiction. Or, Love Inspired. Or, Young Adult Christian Love Inspired Historical Romance.

Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment